Saturday, August 01, 2009

Continued

Oh, here it is.

I don't really feel like writing down every last detail, but I'll remember June 1st 2009 for the rest of my life.

The Butler's reception afterwards was simply amazing, and extremely detailed to dot what would have been Aisling's last I's. The next day in Dublin, it was the Trinity service. Many of us in the class met in the Pav together so we could go en masse to the Chapel, and again it was nice to have strength in numbers. The music I thought was quite somber, so it was very emotional. But Gra and Fergal gave fantastic speeches about the girls, there were professors there that we had not seen for awhile, and representatives of Air France, Brazil and France, and the President of Ireland were there. There was a nice reception in the Dining Hall afterwards, then headed to the Bailey for a commemorative drink for the girls, then the Deasy's had an absolutely lovely reception at their house afterwards as well. I mean, this was just so heartening to see people pulled together. At the Deasy's, a lot of the professors were there and it was nice catching up as well.

Had a couple days respite and just got to hang out with my rowing friends for a few days, which was really nice. I'm really glad I have friends outside of medicine to connect me to my second home. But being back made me really wish I had never left, and although I will never want to work for the HSE again, I loved living in Europe.

That Sunday was Eithne's service in Belfast, and at the reception afterwards there was a really lovely slideshow of photos.

That's all I'll say about that now. It's been two months since it happened, and words still fail to describe all the emotions and details. I'm not a very good descriptive writer, though. The only good thing to come out of this trip besides being with everyone again was a terrific amount of drinking. Peter and I went to a lovely tapas bar on the Friday night (very late as he got out of work late) and drank a hell of a lot of wine and cocktails. Then saturday night, I took him to this really fancy extraordinarily expensive dinner at Shanahans on Stephens Green where the decor is absolutely amazing.

No comments: