Monday, June 04, 2007

The world's a more disturbing place...

I'm getting more scared by some of the young patients I'm seeing, who at 10 years old are like 88 kilos. Young girls. That's like 20 kilos more than I weigh. What the hell? I wonder what it's going to take to make kids (and their parents) change. It's sort of analogous the increasing interest in hybrid cars. It took petrol prices to shoot through the roof before people started considering them. Yeah, environmental concern was part of it...but not the primary concern. What's going to make measures to be put in place in schools/families to decrease the chances of being squashed by someone decades younger than you?

And, I had a patient the other day who required me to write on her school note that she was allowed to drink a bottle of water at school. I was like...what?! Apparently, the school won't let any of them carry bottled water because they're afraid kids will bring and drink alcohol in school! That's nuts! I mean, I'm sure they could...but wouldn't it be obvious picking out the complete smashed kid? and smell it? And wouldn't it be really dangerous for kids not to have adequate hydration? Man, things have really changed from when I was in high school...and that wasn't that long ago!

No comments: