Monday, January 23, 2012

Happy New Year! I'm gonna celebrate with a Dragon Roll...

Since I was late with my Happy Regular New Year, here's to Chinese New Year! New Year's resolutions: 1) blog/journal more 2) gym more 3) eat healthier (noticing some similar trends here!) 4) be more productive and stop wasting my weekends.

I'm typing this on my ipad with the bluetooth keyboard in the Kensington Pro 2 case. Pretty awesome, I have to say but of course I'll have to buy everything all over again when they upgrade to a new model.

So now that I haven't blogged in forever, I'll catch up. This week has been an EPIC WEEK! Someone rightly pointed out that I need to buy a lottery ticket to make my luck in 3's. I passed my EM written boards, I got a job offer at a prestigious place where I really want to be and where I will continue learning an incredible amount, so things have really started well so far. I can't believe how lucky I am sometimes (stable job, employment with good benefits, little debt, etc.)

Fellowship so far has gone well. I don't think I'm making as much of it as I could, but there definitely doesn't seem to be too much time! I'm much more comfortable in ultrasound use than I was when graduating, and although I still have nervous energy going into critical care shifts, I've had some great days as an attending and watched some great days that my friends have had too. I don't think (I hope) I've made major mistakes yet, and I've definitely learned things I could do better but my management has not resulted in disastrous consequences. I feel my confidence growing but am fortunate to be in a specialty where you can never get complacent. I still have some growing to do, but it will come. It's great to be in a very laid back but intellectual environment. Time to put the burners on!

Having more free time is great too. I've gotten to go to NYC a couple times for shows. Friends of mine visited and got a glorious few days on Fire Island this summer before we got kicked off for the hurricane. Went to London / Dublin just before Christmas and felt I never wanted to leave. Worked my ass off (9 shifts in 8 days) over Christmas and survived and also made some good moonlighting money. And now is now - we're going to Puerto Rico, Phoenix, Chicago and maybe I'll be able to swing another Dublin trip for a conference. Maybe Florida? and Australia in December? So far so good :).

No comments: