Thursday, December 23, 2010

My last Christmas in NYC for a little while...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!



This year, it's really chilly in NYC... and we finally got our massive blizzard / snow dump on Stephen's Day. Now all you European romanticizers know what I'm talking about! I do like NYC at Christmastime with the decorations and the constant store music blaring. But I definitely will not miss all the cursing. I'm no prude and I can be sailor-ish, but every time you hear someone on their cell phones it's always F-in this or s*** that. It'll nice to be in a place where everything is a little bit calmer and people aren't so angry.



Last week I went to see Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson ... could have done without seeing that particular musical. Nice set, but not a whole lot of substance to the actual plot and no real wit in the lyrics. Then I subwayed to Macy's - another exercise in patience re: shopping in a big city at Christmas! Every time it's a big reminder of why I should just stick to online shopping :), which I've become quite good at! (and I get to collect boxes for my move out of here!)

I also saw Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown which is based on a famous movie and also had one of my favorite broadway actresses in it (Laura Benanti). Unfortunately, the show is closing early and didn't get very good reviews but honestly, I thought it was fantastic! I was up in the mezzanine so maybe it looks less chaotic from up there, but I thought the way they put together scenes and used the set was pretty awesome. Fantastic singing and Benanti's character (the funny one) was just great. I'm going to have to buy the cast album just for that one song!

Oh, and another thing I'm going to have to see again is the Radio City Rockettes Christmas Spectacular... I thought it was going to be mainly for the kids, and in some respects it is but great choreography and sets. I'd love to take mom! Only next time I'll shell out for the expensive seats in front cos all the coughing snotty loud kids are in the back...

The rest of Christmas was pretty uneventful and all my off days were spent recuperating from work. Worked short staffed but we survived, it's snowed more this year than in any of my other years here and still you'll come up to waist-high piles of snow and all the cars are still boxed in. But it's kind of nice to see NYC blanketed in snow in the early mornings before people are trying to bustle in the streets.

No comments: